Big Health Industry
- Macao strives to boost the development of the big health industry that takes research, development and manufacturing of traditional Chinese medicine (TCM) as its core.
- As early as in 1999, the SAR Government included TCM in the public healthcare system, thereby enlarging the coverage of TCM throughout the public healthcare services.
- The “State Key Laboratory of Quality Research in Chinese Medicine” was established in Macao in 2011, with the aim of developing research on TCM quality and innovation, promoting the standardisation and internationalisation of TCM and the commercialisation of research results.
- The Law on Pharmaceutical Activities in Traditional Chinese Medicine and Registration of Proprietary Chinese Medicines, which was put into force on 1 January 2022, marks a milestone in Macao’s big health and TCM industry development, which facilitates the registration and manufacturing of more quality TCM products in Macao. The Pharmaceutical Administration Bureau was also founded on the same day. It is responsible for the research, management, co-ordination and implementation of policies related to pharmaceutical administration in the Macao SAR.
- The government continuously encourages renowned drug enterprises to establish themselves in Macao. Some of the developed drug manufacturers in Mainland China have established their international headquarters in the city, and some drug enterprises have also registered themselves through the Traditional Chinese Medicine Science and Technology Industrial Park of Co-operation between Guangdong and Macao, covering sectors such as TCM, health care products, medical devices and medical services.