Macao has been promoting the development of the financial industry with an emphasis attached to the development of the bond market, wealth management, financial leasing and cross-border financial business. While striving to become engaged in and serve the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area, the city is committed to establishing itself as the “Financial Service Platform between China and PSCs” and contributing to the “Belt and Road”construction.
- As of the end of 2021, there were 31 banks in Macao. The assets of the banking sector totalled over MOP 2.7 trillion with a capital adequacy ratio of 14.7% and a non-performing loan ratio of 0.7%.
- As of the end of 2021, there were 25 insurance companies in Macao. The assets of the insurance sector totalled MOP 219.9 billion with an insurance penetration rate of 15.4%.
- Chongwa (Macao) Financial Asset Exchange Co., Ltd. (MOX) was established in October 2018, where over MOP 300 billion of various bonds, including national bonds, financial bonds and corporate bonds, have been listed as of late March 2022. The bonds cover a range of currencies such as the Renminbi, US dollar and HK dollar.
- As of the end of 2020, there were over 360,000 wealth management clients in Macao with an investment portfolio market value of MOP 252.3 billion. In February 2021, the “Memorandum of Understanding on the Launch of the Cross-Boundary Wealth Management Connect Pilot Scheme in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area” was signed by financial authorities of the Mainland, Macao and Hong Kong. In September 2021, the online ceremony of Cross-boundary Wealth Management Connect (Wealth Management Connect) in the Guangdong-Hong Kong-Macao Greater Bay Area was held and implementation arrangements of Wealth Management Connect were also published.
- Macao has been continuously improving its soft and hard financial infrastructures, including intensifying efforts on the legislation of the Securities Law, the Trust Law, and amendment to the Financial System Act. The Central Securities Depository (CSD) System was officially launched in December 2021, providing various services for the market including registration, depository and settlement services.
List of financial institutions in Macao, please visit here